Pimento cheese is one of those foods that has been so corrupted by the food industry that it has become synonymous with other crappy foods like Spam. I'm not even certain what store bought pimento cheese might contain, nor do I want to find out. It's a shame because pimento cheese can be a delightful treat, even if it does Read the full post…
In a few days it will officially be fall but the temperatures are still warm enough for me to continue swimming for a few more days. The breeze was a little cool but that didn't stop me from swimming several laps this morning and I felt great afterwards! Have you exercised lately? With fall's cooler temperatures and fewer insects, you Read the full post…
A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with shingles so I felt I should discuss this nasty virus once again. If you ever had chicken pox, you are at risk for getting shingles and believe me, you don't want it. Shingles is a painful rash with blisters that scab over and may take 4 weeks or more to heal. The Read the full post…
There are times when I think I could easily become a vegetarian, especially when I try a new dish that is as good as the vegetarian tacos I had at Local Lime restaurant in Little Rock and the tofu fried rice at Sai Tai here in Jonesboro. My husband and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary this past weekend by spending Read the full post…
Summer is winding down , the year is more than half way over and our January resolutions are long forgotten. It's time for a health reality check. First of all, how is your health lately? If you have enjoyed good health, are you thankful? Take some time to appreciate how wonderful it feels to be healthy, for your family to Read the full post…
I'm back from a lovely beach vacation and I wish I was still there with all my heart. Wouldn't it be nice if our every day life was as nice as a vacation? If we could relax, eat well, sleep and exercise just enough without having to worry about bills, work, illnesses and school, our lives would be perfect. But Read the full post…
[ Post by Lisa Tedder ][ Post on May 7, 2010 ][ In For new Mom's ]
Teen girls, take care of yourself so you will always be beautiful and healthy. Be smart and do what’s right and you’ll feel good and look good. It can be hard in today’s world to eat better but wrecking your health is the alternative. My husband, the cardiologist, treats people in their 30′s and 40′s with heart disease. If you die of a heart attack at 40, that means you were middle aged at 20, just when your life should be full of fun and new adventures.
Poor food choices lead to many different diseases, like heart disease and diabetes. So, what should you be eating? Here are some tips that will help you make better choices.
1. Eat breakfast. Studies show that people who eat breakfast are slimmer and perform better at work and school. Breakfast shouldn’t be all sugar. Eat cereal high in fiber and low in sugar like multigrain cheerios or shredded wheat. Try old fashioned oatmeal with fresh fruit on top. Grab a banana or a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter. Drink milk or a small glass of orange juice.
2. Eat lunch. Skipping meals makes you really hungry and more likely to pig out on junk food. Skip the school lunch, nothing nutritious there, and bring your own. Make a sandwich with lean meat, whole wheat bread, some lettuce or tomato. Add some fruit, yogurt or veggies like cucumber slices or carrot sticks. Try hummus on pita bread or make a salad. Drink water, G-2, tea or milk. Skip sweet drinks. No, you don’t need chips or cookies or neon colored jello.
3. Eat a snack after school. Crackers and cheese, fruit or a homemade smoothie made with lowfat yogurt and frozen fruit are good choices. Remember your body is still growing and needs fuel.
4. Eat a good dinner. You can help out by doing the cooking and helping the whole family to eat better. You should get at least two servings of vegetables at dinner. Eat meat that hasn’t been breaded and fried like chicken nuggets. Cut back on portion sizes – many of us eat too much. Skip dessert after dinner.
5. Avoid those teen staples – fast food and pizza. Most fast food and pizza offer nothing but opportunities to pack on pounds. Those fries taste good but won’t look good around your waist. If you must drink soda, drink one of those small 8 oz. cans. One can a day.
I hope this makes an impact on some of you girls. I’d like to know that you have a long, healthy, happy life. Eating right and exercising are key to that life.
Upadated on May 7, 2010
One Response to “Better Eating For Teens, Continued”
Leave a Reply
Copyright © 2012 cardiologistswife.com All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by AceOne