Pimento cheese is one of those foods that has been so corrupted by the food industry that it has become synonymous with other crappy foods like Spam. I'm not even certain what store bought pimento cheese might contain, nor do I want to find out. It's a shame because pimento cheese can be a delightful treat, even if it does Read the full post…
In a few days it will officially be fall but the temperatures are still warm enough for me to continue swimming for a few more days. The breeze was a little cool but that didn't stop me from swimming several laps this morning and I felt great afterwards! Have you exercised lately? With fall's cooler temperatures and fewer insects, you Read the full post…
A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with shingles so I felt I should discuss this nasty virus once again. If you ever had chicken pox, you are at risk for getting shingles and believe me, you don't want it. Shingles is a painful rash with blisters that scab over and may take 4 weeks or more to heal. The Read the full post…
There are times when I think I could easily become a vegetarian, especially when I try a new dish that is as good as the vegetarian tacos I had at Local Lime restaurant in Little Rock and the tofu fried rice at Sai Tai here in Jonesboro. My husband and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary this past weekend by spending Read the full post…
Summer is winding down , the year is more than half way over and our January resolutions are long forgotten. It's time for a health reality check. First of all, how is your health lately? If you have enjoyed good health, are you thankful? Take some time to appreciate how wonderful it feels to be healthy, for your family to Read the full post…
I'm back from a lovely beach vacation and I wish I was still there with all my heart. Wouldn't it be nice if our every day life was as nice as a vacation? If we could relax, eat well, sleep and exercise just enough without having to worry about bills, work, illnesses and school, our lives would be perfect. But Read the full post…
[ Post by Lisa Tedder ][ Post on October 12, 2010 ][ In Medical and Health Information ]
These are a few things I believe in doing as often as possible for good health – every day if you can.
1. Smile and laugh with your friends and family. Having a good social life and a positive outlook on life will actually help you be healthier!
2. Exercise! You knew this one would be on the list, didn’t you? Try to squeeze in exercise where ever you can – use the stairs, park further away from the store entrance, walk on your lunch break. Just do it!
3. Eat your fruits and veggies. Come on, have you eaten a fruit or vegetable today? It’s so easy to eat an apple, banana or even a handful of carrot sticks at lunch.
4. Get enough sleep. Americans tend to be chronically tired from not getting enough sleep. It does have an effect on your health plus you won’t be as productive at work.
5. Drink plenty of fluids such as water or tea. Skip the soda but stay well hydrated. You will have more energy, fewer headaches, better looking skin and less trouble with constipation.
6. Take good care of your teeth. Studies have shown a link between heart disease and tooth decay or gum disease. Bad teeth can also contribute to an overall weakened immune system.
7. Enjoy your pets. Studies show that people have lower blood pressure when interacting with animals. That means time spent with your pet can reduce your level of stress, a win/win situation for everyone.
8. Stimulate your mind with new challenges. You don’t have to go back to school, just do the sudoku puzzle in the paper, listen to different music or read something you ordinarily wouldn’t. Your brain needs exercise too in order to perform well.
9. Keep track of your weight, cholesterol and blood pressure. Of course, you won’t check all of these every day but you should know what your statistics are so you will be aware of any changes that needs to be addressed.
10. Stretch. I believe it is just as important to stretch your body every day as it is to exercise. Stretching keeps your body from getting stiff and your joints from locking up as you get older. Use a yoga tape or take a class to learn how to stretch properly.
I hope you will think about these ideas and I really hope you are already doing most, if not all, of them.
Upadated on October 12, 2010
Leave a Reply
Copyright © 2012 cardiologistswife.com All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by AceOne