Pimento cheese is one of those foods that has been so corrupted by the food industry that it has become synonymous with other crappy foods like Spam. I'm not even certain what store bought pimento cheese might contain, nor do I want to find out. It's a shame because pimento cheese can be a delightful treat, even if it does Read the full post…
In a few days it will officially be fall but the temperatures are still warm enough for me to continue swimming for a few more days. The breeze was a little cool but that didn't stop me from swimming several laps this morning and I felt great afterwards! Have you exercised lately? With fall's cooler temperatures and fewer insects, you Read the full post…
A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with shingles so I felt I should discuss this nasty virus once again. If you ever had chicken pox, you are at risk for getting shingles and believe me, you don't want it. Shingles is a painful rash with blisters that scab over and may take 4 weeks or more to heal. The Read the full post…
There are times when I think I could easily become a vegetarian, especially when I try a new dish that is as good as the vegetarian tacos I had at Local Lime restaurant in Little Rock and the tofu fried rice at Sai Tai here in Jonesboro. My husband and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary this past weekend by spending Read the full post…
Summer is winding down , the year is more than half way over and our January resolutions are long forgotten. It's time for a health reality check. First of all, how is your health lately? If you have enjoyed good health, are you thankful? Take some time to appreciate how wonderful it feels to be healthy, for your family to Read the full post…
I'm back from a lovely beach vacation and I wish I was still there with all my heart. Wouldn't it be nice if our every day life was as nice as a vacation? If we could relax, eat well, sleep and exercise just enough without having to worry about bills, work, illnesses and school, our lives would be perfect. But Read the full post…
Unfortunately, school does start next week for us; it may have already started in your area. I say unfortunately because I am never ready for school to start, unlike most parents. I wish we could play all year. But because I want my kids to have the best possible educational experience, I start early with back to school prep. Here are some tips for getting your child ready for school.
1. Set a bedtime and have your child start going to bed at that time now. Sleep is one of the most important factors in the learning process. A tired child is not going to be able to pay attention or learn.
2. Eat a decent breakfast. A donut or skipping breakfast will not do. A hungry child can not learn; all he or she can think about is their stomach. Eat a boiled egg and have some juice or banana, peanut butter and milk.
3. If you didn’t hear the news last night, tests show lunches from home most likely are not cold enough to keep food safe until lunch. Freeze the child’s drink as well as including an icepack to keep food cold and avoid food borne illnesses.
4. If your child is nervous about the start of school, make sure they attend the open house and meet their teachers. Try to have them attend open house and the first day of school with a friend. Don’t ignore or make fun of their feelings but don’t add to their anxiousness either.
5. If they had summer projects to do for school, make sure they are done now, don’t wait until the night before school starts.
6. Talk with your child about what to pack for lunches and let them make some decisions. Just make sure their choices are nutritious, not disastrous.
7. Make sure their shoes and clothes fit well. Ill fitting clothing and shoes are uncomfortable and distracting.
8. Wash all clothes before the big day and pick out something to wear for a couple of days. This will speed things up and lessen stress on school mornings.
9. Organize everything your child needs to take the first day on the night before for the same reasons listed in 8.
10. Tell your child you love them and you just know this will be the best year ever! A positive attitude is inspiring.
Upadated on August 9, 2011
Leave a Reply
Copyright © 2012 cardiologistswife.com All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by AceOne